Not-So-Final Project

The “Not-So-Final Project” is the capstone assignment for the course. As such it takes the place of the more traditional final paper and final exam. Why “Not-So-Final?” Because a) creating a truly complete…anything about any topic in this course would be a fool’s errand and b) I expect your thinking on the issues involved in this course will continue to change!

Your Mission(s) DUE AUG. 12

This project has three parts:

1. creating a learning thing (a unit/framework/model/in-depth lesson/?) on Digital Citizenship OR topic X (your choice: digital literacy? intellectual property? productivity? ADA? Accessibility? something of your own devising?) for a particular audience;
  2. reflecting on how your idea of digital citizenship has changed since the beginning of the course;
  3. providing some advice for future students.

Part One: Your Learning Thing (50 pts)

Identify a group/audience you work with (or plan to work with) in your career or life and create learning materials on a course-related topic specifically for them. Some of you teach or plan to teach: you could create an infographic with supporting pages for a particular class or grade level. Some of you work in education administration: you could create an outline of a curriculum for a group that works with or for you. Some of you are parents: you could create videos addressing some of these issues (with an outline for the rest) for your children. Anything goes (well, anything we can agree on. If you’re unsure, message me on Slack with what you plan to do).

Remember:

1. What you create—and the accompanying materials—should identify the important elements, topics and ideas. It is not intended to be a complete model or curriculum or series! That would be crazy talk. By definition, then, what you create is likely to be just part of what could be a larger series…be sure to share what those future pieces would be about.
  2. Obviously, being “complete” could mean writing a book—or three—but that now what I mean! By “complete” in the rubric I mean that your work at least identifies and takes into account by links and/or summaries and/or lists the significant areas/concepts that your topic has come to mean to you.
  3. Look at the rubric to see what I am looking for. You’ve all been doing work like this all semester…this is no different.

This part of the project can be completed in whatever form(s) you wish as long as it is public and can be linked to or downloaded.

Rubric

This assignment has been identified as one meeting particular accreditation requirements and so—surprise!—has a rubric. Use this rubric (also available as a PDF) as a guide for your work on Part 1, not a collection of boxes to be checked!

1. Emerging 2. Developing 3. Meeting Expectations 4. Exceeding Expectations
Audience Definition no audience identified audience identified but not addressed audience identified; framework directly addresses it framework is flexible and/or adaptive to multiple, identified audiences
Writing Mechanics contains pervasive, significant errors in usage, grammar or syntax contains some significant errors that do not severely impede meaning generally free of errors, adequate syntax demonstrates mastery of mechanics, vocabulary and contextually appropriate syntax
Media and Modalities  composed in all text  contains text and still images  uses text, images and charts/graphs/data representations  uses text, images, data representations and multimedia
Comprehensiveness product is significantly and unknowingly incomplete product is incomplete, but incompleteness is recognized and addressed product is complete product provides new or unexpected criteria or facets
Connections  contains few or no connections to others’ work  connections to others’ work are incidental or shallow  integrates connections to others’ work in a contributory manner to their framework  integrates connections to others work in a manner that expands upon both their own work and that being included or referenced
Synthesis  components of product are disconnected and lacking in original thought  components of product are disconnected but demonstrate critical approach  components of product are connected and show evidence of individual critical thinking and approach product is a unified whole and contains significant evidence of productive critical thinking

Submitting Your Assignment

As usual, publish some kind of notification to your blog telling me where I can find your finished product.

Part Two: Thinking About Your Thinking (25 pts)

Tell me—in whatever form you wish—how your thinking about digital citizenship has changed over the course of this class (for better and/or for worse)! What has come to seem more important? What has come to seem less? What do you think of the whole idea of digital citizenship and how it relates to plain old citizenship? How does your current understanding of digital citizenship influence how you work and play? Have any of your work routines or habits changed as a result of things you have learned? How will you be a digital citizen (or if you don’t think you will, or can, be…why)?

Submitting Your Assignment

As usual, publish some kind of notification to your blog telling me where I can find your post, page, video, audio, or whatever you made.

Part Three: Advice for Future Students (25 pts)

Imagine you have a few minutes to advise a student about to take this class next year (and imagine that it will be basically the same) and tell them. Use whatever form(s) you desire. I will direct future students here as part of their introduction to the course.

You will have a chance, as part of the student course evaluation, to give me some advice.

Submitting Your Assignment